Discovered some interesting stats on 160characters from an online survey that they had conducted. The survey looked at the messaging habits of end-users across email, instant messaging and SMS in personal and work environments.
- 84% of users expect a SMS response in five minutes
- Most people would respond to a personal SMS (84%) in less than 30 minutes while only 56% would respond in that time to a work related message.
- SMS as the preferred key communication tool, especially when an immediate or near immediate response is required.
- 26% of respondents would take between two and five hours to reply to a personal email and 31% would wait till the next day to reply.
- However for work related emails, 26% said it would take them two to five hours to reply and 22% would keep you waiting till the next day. At least this was better than the response time to personal email with 31% waiting for the next day.
- 60% would never use MMS for work related communications with long delivery times cited as the main reason.
- Mobile IM still has some way to go for both business and personal use with 42% not using mobile IM for personal reasons and 54% not using it for business.
- This compares to the PC where only 15% don't use PC based IM for personal and 27% not using in business.